Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Aston Villa, and other football teams!
Yay Mr 1D has gone
Chris, don't ask why Windy. No please don't. No.

Music: http://trip-tv.blogspot.com/
Me: http://mixing-and-matching.blogspot.com/
(09-08-2010, 10:08 PM)windy Wrote: Yay Mr 1D has gone

:thumbup:
:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:
worst ever performance..... sack the manager :thumbup:
One problem there.

You don't have one, he walked out remember:-)

Dare I say it could be a long hard fight against relegation this year for Aston Park.

Meanwhile the top team in the city won yesterday.
It' Nord alto torvo di s.
spiega con la maggior parte yorkshiremen sono bastardi miseri

yes thanks to an ex villa player. Nah it wont be a relegation fight but it does increase the urgency to get a new nanager in
There was the thumping by Chelsea at the end of last season and now this. MON could see it all coming.............. signs of his failing handy work that started 18 months ago on that European adventure / debacle. It may look poor on his CV him doing a runner five days before the season........... but at the end of last season he could see this coming .... he held on - but in the end the loss of a couple of players and he decided to get out. Wise man - keep his head down for a while and hopefully people will still see him as some football guru.
I wouldn't read too much into it. Always a lot of freak results in the first few weeks of the season. Look at Blackpool's first 2 games!

Thanks for the sensible post Windy.. Thats cheered me up a bit.
Is it April the 1st?

http://www.birminghampost.net/midlands-b...-27193762/

Hmmm thats a suprise

Aston Villa are set to sign former Arsenal winger Robert Pires later this week, according to the club's website.

The 37-year-old was released by Spanish club Villarreal in the summer and is available as a free agent.

Pires helped France win the 1998 World Cup and 2000 European Championship as well as winning two Premier League titles and three FA Cups with Arsenal.

Villa's assistant boss Gary McAllister confirmed: "I believe he's going to join us in the next two to three days."

Pires, who spent six years with the Gunners and was voted their sixth greatest player of all time in an online poll, has been training with his former manager Arsene Wenger at Arsenal's training ground in recent weeks.

His arrival at Villa Park will be a boost for manager Gerard Houllier's squad which has been depleted by injuries to the likes of John Carew, Emile Heskey, Stiliyan Petrov, Nigel Reo-Coker and Steve Sidwell this month.

McAllister added: "I know the [Villa] boss [Gerard Houllier] and Arsene Wenger are very friendly.

"It's perfect. I am sure he will arrive at the training ground in good condition.

"He's a player everyone can look up to because of what he has achieved."
Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

Hmm not too sure about this. With Albrighton and Downing playing so well in the wide positions, I'm not too sure where hes going to fit in unless he's just going to be cover or maybe play in midfield.

He was a great player for Arsenal though. I hope he can still produce some of that form.
Interesting - Pires would fit in very nicely and I'm sure be a great source of advice for our kids especially Albrighton and Bannan. I'd expect his influence off the pitch to be as important as that on it.

It's all going in the right direction at a rate of knots. I've been to evey game this year and with the exception of Newcastle and Small Heath we have played well in all of them - just not converted that into goals.

With Gabby back and with the chances we create through Bannan, Young, Downing and Albrighton, the season is looking very good indeed. Can't wait to see what happens. Houlier is clearly fighting his inclination to put out a defensive side and it's paid off. I just hope that we continue being this brave - give the youth their head and we will reap the rewards in a few months.
Ok i think very Villa fans are pleased with the signing. My initial reaction was based on his age. I'm glad you're enjoying you're football. I too share your optimism. We have the worst injury crisis in years, yet this might be a belssing in disguise as its given the youngsters a chance. Bannan is the creative player we've been thriving for years. Great international debut by him as well. Allbrighton enthusiasm and energy is a joy to watch and theres many of youngsters that are really good as well. Houllier is very astute and with a bit more luck we'd be top 4 now... Anyway no expectations this seasons, but many people thought that Villa would be in decline after MON and the sale of James Milner, who to be honest, is a bit of a donkey compared to Allbrighton. Hes certainly too slow to play on the wing.
That was the most inept first half performance I ever seen from a Villa side. The Pirres signing looks like a big mistake. He was kissing and hugging the Arsenal players before the game. Hes too old and slow to play in the premiere league. The last two games we have so missed Allbrighton. Better showing in the second half when for some strange raeson Houllier decided to play right footed Young on the right and left footed Dowing on the left. I don't understand the obscession with playing wingers on the wrong sides. Yes Young has been effective on the left but Downing on the right - no way.... Bannan continues to impress. But Dunne and Collins have been rubbish this season... Where is Cuellar?
Couldn't agree more - I've never felt more grateful to be only 2-0 down. They say that GH is a master tactician but from what I've seen at Blackburn and Arsenal, he's tried to out-"long ball" Blackburn with our shorter players on the pitch and then tried to out-pass Arsenal with our two least mobile players on the pitch (Pires and Carew). I'm baffled. To be fair to him he does change it for the better - but even I (with very little footie knowledge) could see that playing Pires for 90 mins was a non-starter.

Agree on Albrighton, Bannan (now on my new shirt) and Clark. Ashley's form has dropped off a cliff and Downing still is only keen on playing when there is a camera trained on him (and when he doesn't have to do that nasty tackling thing). I will personally drive Ireland wherever he can find another club stupid enough to take him.

Carew, Sidwell, Beye and Ireland out - the kids should replace them.... and a decent striker please... somebody that we can rely on for 15 goals a year would be lovely.... Bent / Carroll / Guyan / Wellbeck....

I'm quite worried after the last two performances. Nervous about Small Heath and Liverpool... the saving grace this year is that with a few decent results we could be back in the mix for Europe... but we may be trying to avoid relegation as a priority.

Nobody ever said it was going to be easy

Yes in fairness we have a long injury list but when you look at some of the players that are out like Sidwell, Coker, Heskey, even Petrov - they are not players who are going to turn our season around.
(27-11-2010, 11:28 PM)Will the Bear Wrote: Couldn't agree more - I've never felt more grateful to be only 2-0 down. They say that GH is a master tactician but from what I've seen at Blackburn and Arsenal, he's tried to out-"long ball" Blackburn with our shorter players on the pitch and then tried to out-pass Arsenal with our two least mobile players on the pitch (Pires and Carew). I'm baffled. To be fair to him he does change it for the better - but even I (with very little footie knowledge) could see that playing Pires for 90 mins was a non-starter.

Agree on Albrighton, Bannan (now on my new shirt) and Clark. Ashley's form has dropped off a cliff and Downing still is only keen on playing when there is a camera trained on him (and when he doesn't have to do that nasty tackling thing). I will personally drive Ireland wherever he can find another club stupid enough to take him.

Carew, Sidwell, Beye and Ireland out - the kids should replace them.... and a decent striker please... somebody that we can rely on for 15 goals a year would be lovely.... Bent / Carroll / Guyan / Wellbeck....

I'm quite worried after the last two performances. Nervous about Small Heath and Liverpool... the saving grace this year is that with a few decent results we could be back in the mix for Europe... but we may be trying to avoid relegation as a priority.

Nobody ever said it was going to be easy

Never under estimate what a reported interest from Harry Redknapp can do to a player's form. For some reason, his totally above board approach to transfers - which never involves tapping up at all - is unsettling.

Why cant you get more put of Ireland who is potentially a brilliant player? I know hes insane but two seasons ago he was, IMO, the best creative MF player in the division.
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
And some idiotic value of 80 Million.
Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

It's a really good point.

I'm not sure on Ashley (who is £20mn at the most). I think he is the problem and has been for at least 18 months. He has it in his head that he is the only person who can possibly score / pass / organise. He takes that attitude with him everywhere and just can't see it when he's not playing well.

So you end up with him as our creative outlet - playing in the "hole" as well as hitting most of the corners / free kicks (badly - hitting the 1st defender / knocking it straight out) and when it goes wrong blaming everybody else (refs included)... you can just see the spiral in his head. On his day - brilliant - most of the time somebody who looks great but stops the team working.

IHMO, the diff in the 2nd half yesterday was that Ashley played on the wing where he is effective and started hitting up and under corners when he realised that his standard delivery was poor.... that was the first time I've seen him work that out... Suddenly Bannan was pulling the strings and the team started to work.

But - we have Albrighton to come back in, who is by far the best winger of the two - and I don't think Ashley is good enough in the "hole" - I'd sell him £20mn I would take and run. As with Barry and Milner - I think Ashley will struggle to shine in an atmosphere that doesn't see him as the "main" player.

Ireland is amazingly frustrating. I also thought he was brilliant at City a few years ago - but now he is soooooo bad..... I thought in his first game at Newcastle that the game passed him by - as it was his first game I could understand that - but he's been like that ever since and he just doesn't work or tackle back.... so he's always a weak link. I think Houlier is right on this one - he needs to work harder and want it more. I'd rather (gulp) Sidwell playing in the side than Ireland. Crap as he is it's very rare that he doesn't work hard.