Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears v Vikings
We should probably open a new thread for this, we’re essentially all moaning now after Warks won a game against good opposition. However, there were a few interesting points raised after my comment earlier so permit me the intrusion of a reply.

@GrizzlyBear @narsty simon: Slight misinterpretation of my point. I’m with you that T20 in the UK is scheduled by the ECB to the detriment of first class game. But that’s squarely the fault of our administrators - it would be more accurate to say UK adminstrators are actively killing first class cricket. Go back to county cricket in the early 1960s there was decline interest in the County game, limited overs is widely credited with bringing it back. The formats do need each other. This interesting colour piece elaborates: http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/con...10124.html

@Exiled Bear. I think you’ve hit on something very prescient here. Limited overs cricket does seem to feel the need to promote sideline entertainment to plug games. Flintoff dressed at Elvis? Pack it in! It’s all a bit crass and the ancillary fripperies are never done that well. I think serving you a pint and then immmdiately kicking you out is an example of that crassness. Maybe it’s a lack of confidence in the main show? First Class and Tests never seem to need that enhanced marketing effort.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tayls79's post:
Leicester Exile
Does anyone else feel like things are going south somewhat?

Picking Woakes for tonights game is a bad error. He was very wayward in the recent 4 day match.

We cannot bowl without being whacked out of the ground by all and sundry. Another 200+ total on the cards again tonight to fail to chase down.

Championship results starting to turn with poor efforts with the bat and out of the one day cup.

We need to step up as a team all round.
Terrible, terrible stuff from us again.

Out of the competition tonight if we lose, too much to make up.
Not getting any better our bowling inT20 is it. Saw a bit of the ladies game earlier, it spun a bit surprised Poysden not playing
Just a suggestion but should we bowl the first over of an opponents innings (any format, doesn't matter) and try and keep the scoring within single figures? It might just give the opposition something negative to think about rather than bouncing around in anticipation.
could this be a world record the first team to concide over 200 in 4 games on the trot
(27-07-2018, 07:17 PM)rednalbear Wrote: Not  getting any better our bowling inT20 is it. Saw a bit of the ladies game earlier, it spun a bit surprised Poysden not playing
(27-07-2018, 08:08 PM)narsty simon Wrote:
(27-07-2018, 07:17 PM)rednalbear Wrote: Not  getting any better our bowling inT20 is it. Saw a bit of the ladies game earlier, it spun a bit surprised Poysden not playing

I too saw the ladies game, how good will Sophie Ecclestone become, they say spinners peak in their 30s so this lass, who is19, has the potential to be the very best, Alex Hartley also impressive
Tapping it around now for singles when we are looking for 14 an over.

We seem to be clueless bowling, not taking pace off the ball until we have been smashed all over the place.

We bat like it is 1975, leaving ourselves massive targets. Instead of going after the spin (we have no choice) defending.

Poysdon nowhere near the squad whilst expensive imports flop.
(27-07-2018, 09:12 PM)Measham Bear Wrote: Tapping it around now for singles when we are looking for 14 an over.

We seem to be clueless bowling, not taking pace off the ball until we have been smashed all over the place.

We bat like it is 1975, leaving ourselves massive targets. Instead of going after the spin (we have no choice) defending.

Poysdon nowhere near the squad whilst expensive imports flop.
I wonder whether any other County has conceded 200 runs in four consecutive T20 matches.
Agree, whether you like this format of the game or not Warwickshire/Birmingham Bears are playing in the competition and should therefore try to compete. Our bowling is shocking and watching this batting response is quite simply sad and depressing. The only thing that is worse is Nick Knights sickening big girls blouse of a commentary. My god this club loves it's comfortable slippers, what have these two imports, Elliot and Colin de Crumble ever achieved for us. Why do they come back?...?
Why the hell has De Grandhomme not come in earlier and also no poysden again ?? This team is being run by utter clowns im afraid to say !!
(27-07-2018, 10:06 PM)braddy Wrote: Why the hell has De Grandhomme not come in earlier and also no poysden again ?? This team is being run by utter clowns im afraid to say !!

Agreed again, it's fine playing billy big boll---- in a totally lost cause batting No 6/7 when you have been chasing 220+ (again) for most of the game. Get a grip Giles/Troughton/Westwood/etc/etc/etc, start playing hard cricket from the first over onwards. Reading the Patel (who looked thoughourly pissed of following his first over where he conceded 5 after Woakes 25) review of the Middlesex game was like listening to your financial advisor, he was only lying when his lips moved!
(27-07-2018, 07:41 PM)rednalbear Wrote: could this be a world record the first team to concide over 200 in 4 games on the trot

Not sure about that; but Northants have conceded 200+ in all the games where they have bowled 20 overs this season - and plenty in the other games:
219-6 (20) 219-6 (20) 124-2 (16.1) 130-3 (9) 211-2 (20) 231-5 (20) 189-1 (13.1) 1,323 runs conceded in 118.2 overs. 11.19 runs per over.
I think the big problems this evening were team selection and bowling - and the batting order, with de Grandhomme coming in when it was already a lost cause.
It's worth mentioning that there were two teams playing tonight and Yorkshire actually played very well.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(27-07-2018, 10:51 PM)Terry Wrote:
(27-07-2018, 07:41 PM)rednalbear Wrote: could this be a world record the first team to concide over 200 in 4 games on the trot

Not sure about that; but Northants have conceded 200+ in all the games where they have bowled 20 overs this season - and plenty in the other games:
219-6 (20) 219-6 (20) 124-2 (16.1) 130-3 (9) 211-2 (20) 231-5 (20) 189-1 (13.1) 1,323 runs conceded in 118.2 overs. 11.19 runs per over.
I think the big problems this evening were team selection and bowling - and the batting order, with de Grandhomme coming in when it was already a lost cause.
It's worth mentioning that there were two teams playing tonight and Yorkshire actually played very well.

Big problem "team selection, bowling and the batting order" - that gives us something to build on and there were certainly not two teams playing last night. In fact one never even turned up.
(27-07-2018, 06:46 PM)Measham Bear Wrote: Does anyone else feel like things are going south somewhat?

Picking Woakes for tonights game is a bad error. He was very wayward in the recent 4 day match.

We cannot bowl without being whacked out of the ground by all and sundry. Another 200+ total on the cards again tonight to fail to chase down.

Championship results starting to turn with poor efforts with the bat and out of the one day cup.

We need to step up as a team all round.

Regarding the Woakes selection- knowing the way the game is run I doubt it was Birmingham''s decision more likely an ecb directive
[-] The following 1 user Likes narsty simon's post:
Leicester Exile
I think you are right about Woakes. They hope to use him later in the series and although I'm sure they would rather he played a four-day game a few T20s will keep him ticking over. Not that it helped us last night.
Clearly no-one is learning anything from these games because the bowling was a carbon copy of the last three. They remind me of a lad I used to play with who was the best net-bowler ever. Every ball he bowled was a half-volley and you came out of a net session with him feeling like Bradman!

Why in God's name isn't Poysden playing? And even though I think he's a waste of an overseas contract why wasn't CDG sent in when Hain was out? You could see that Yorkshire were thinking about what they were doing - eg their plans for Bell. There was no evidence of any thought on our side.
Following the advice of those who assure me that I am missing something, I watched the game on TV last night. Can you now find a way to give me back those three hours I wasted, please? Come on, Adam Lyth is a good player but if the boundaries are so short that he can spank international bowlers for six after six somebody has lost the plot.

After a better than expected start to the Championship season, I fear that the interruption provided by white ball games is doing us no favours. After shaking the squad up last year, we needed a season to bed in the next generation. Rhodes looks to be making it; Brookes was a revelation before his injury; Sibley has something to prove; Hose looks out of his depth. Then what game time are Thomason, Singh, Poysden, Lamb, Umeed, etc, etc getting? None, whilst Eliott and de Grandhomme contribute what exactly?