Warwickshire County Cricket Club Unofficial fans forum
Finals Day - Printable Version

+- Warwickshire County Cricket Club Unofficial fans forum (http://www.bearsfans.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Warwickshire CCC (http://www.bearsfans.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: One Day Matches (http://www.bearsfans.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Finals Day (/showthread.php?tid=4085)

Finals Day - Terry - 27-08-2018

So it's Worcester v Lancs and Sussex v Somerset on Finals Day.
They look like four strong teams.  I was at Worcester to see them beat Gloucestershire and they played well but I'm not sure I fancy their chances against Lancs.
Weather permitting, it should be a great day.

RE: Finals Day - paulbear - 27-08-2018

I would much rather see Sussex win it than any of the others. Don't want the neighbours to win it, fed up with Lancs being there all the time and Somerset seem to be too smug because they have too often got away with preparing pitches that turn from ball one and pulled out the same trick last season in their 'You stole the title from us in 2016 Middlesex so here's our revenge' mission and they are still bleating about it. Wouldn't surprise me if Laurie Evans gives everyone a reminder of what he can do at this level and win it for Sussex.

RE: Finals Day - Terry - 14-09-2018

(27-08-2018, 11:23 PM)paulbear Wrote: I would much rather see Sussex win it than any of the others. Don't want the neighbours to win it, fed up with Lancs being there all the time and Somerset seem to be too smug because they have too often got away with preparing pitches that turn from ball one and pulled out the same trick last season in their 'You stole the title from us in 2016 Middlesex so here's our revenge' mission and they are still bleating about it. Wouldn't surprise me if Laurie Evans gives everyone a reminder of what he can do at this level and win it for Sussex.

Yes, I've given Sussex and Laurie Evans a positive write-up in my preview:
https://deepextracover.com/2018/09/vitality-blast-finals-day-preview-sussex-sharks/
The weather seems like it will be OK.  I'm just sorry I will miss it this year.

RE: Finals Day - Terry - 15-09-2018

Another great Finals Day at Edgbaston.
I think my man of the day would be groundsman Gary Barwell for producing the perfect pitch.
Well done to the Rapids.
Eight of the supposedly knowledgeable writers for Deep Extra Cover were asked before Finals Day to predict the winners.  Guess how many of us got it right.
Yes, you're correct.  Not one of us tipped Worcestershire.

RE: Finals Day - Warleybear - 15-09-2018

Yes Terry.... another fantastic T20 finals day.... always a brilliant occasion at Edgbaston....

Congratulations to Worcs.... I hoped it would be them or Somerset.

Nice to see Bell shared the top scorer in an innings...

Top run-scorer: Laurie Evans (Sussex) - 614

Highest score: Aaron Finch (Surrey) 131*; Ian Bell (Birmingham Bears) 131

Leading wicket-taker: Pat Brown (Worcestershire) - 31

Best bowling figures: James Fuller (Middlesex) - 6-28

Most catches: Ed Barnard (Worcestershire) - 15

Most wicketkeeping dismissals: Dane Vilas (Lancashire) - 18

RE: Finals Day - DaveC - 16-09-2018

(15-09-2018, 10:17 PM)Terry Wrote: Another great Finals Day at Edgbaston.
I think my man of the day would be groundsman Gary Barwell for producing the perfect pitch.
Well done to the Rapids.
Eight of the supposedly knowledgeable writers for Deep Extra Cover were asked before Finals Day to predict the winners.  Guess how many of us got it right.
Yes, you're correct.  Not one of us tipped Worcestershire.

Delighted for our neighbours. Great to see a team winning a trophy by doing all the right things. 

FWIW - although my lovely Pear-supporting niece probablly had something to do with it! - I backed them from the start. Wink

RE: Finals Day - paulbear - 16-09-2018

I doubt our neighbours would have been as happy for us to win it but despite only a few BIG name players, Worcestershire have had a good run in one-day cricket this season. I have to say that Sussex would be kicking themselves for not getting to 180 at least and some of their bowling at the end was shockingly amateurish. Amazing how in all the 16 T20 finals days since 2003 apart from a few overs here and there, none have succumbed to poor weather and reserve days.

RE: Finals Day - Terry - 16-09-2018

(16-09-2018, 12:08 PM)paulbear Wrote: I doubt our neighbours would have been as happy for us to win it but despite only a few BIG name players, Worcestershire have had a good run in one-day cricket this season. I have to say that Sussex would be kicking themselves for not getting to 180 at least and some of their bowling at the end was shockingly amateurish. Amazing how in all the 16 T20 finals days since 2003 apart from a few overs here and there, none have succumbed to poor weather and reserve days.

With seven players under the age of 27 in the Final team and also seven home-grown, there's a lot to like about Worcestershire.
I was pleased to hear Steve Rhodes mentioned in the post-match interviews -  he played a massive part in the development of the young players.
Also, it must have been a happy return to Edgbaston for bowling coach Alan Richardson. I don't know how much credit he can take for the progress that Pat Brown and Ed Barnard have made but I guess he must feel vindicated after being sacked by Warwickshire (or did he leave by "mutual consent"?).

RE: Finals Day - Exiled Bear - 16-09-2018

Very much enjoyed Finals Day yesterday. It was my first Finals Day sat in front of the Tom Dollery lounge and I have to say it's probably my favourite view in the ground. Delighted for Worcestershire and for Moeen - is our decision to let him go the worst that we've made on the playing front? Also, was it just me or was there more of a problem with things being thrown on the pitch yesterday than in previous years? I assume they were giving out the red balls that kept getting thrown on for free somewhere, but there were also a number of shoes and some toy dead birds! One of the biggest cheers of the day was when Luke Wright (I think) threw an inflatable watermelon that had been confiscated back into the Hollies - very amusing!

RE: Finals Day - paulbear - 16-09-2018

I think Moeen wanted to play with his cousin Kabir Ali and made no real secret of it at the time but he was nowhere near as good then as he is now. In the times I did see him bowl for us he was very ordinary medium pace although his batting did look it would one day be very good. He didn't get to play with his cousin too much as soon after he moved to another county.

RE: Finals Day - randombear - 16-09-2018

There is much to like about the Pears; a largely home-grown team, a county that does their very best with the resources they have available (In terms of players and finance)