Warwickshire County Cricket Club Unofficial fans forum
Bears v Vikings - Printable Version

+- Warwickshire County Cricket Club Unofficial fans forum (http://www.bearsfans.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Warwickshire CCC (http://www.bearsfans.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: One Day Matches (http://www.bearsfans.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Bears v Vikings (/showthread.php?tid=4057)

Pages: 1 2

Bears v Vikings - Terry - 07-07-2018

Here is my preview of tomorrow's match:
https://deepextracover.com/2018/07/vitality-blast-preview-birmingham-bears-v-yorkshire-vikings/
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a jacuzzi so I won't be wearing my Speedos.  But I will look out for Simon on the bouncy castle.

RE: Bears v Vikings - narsty simon - 08-07-2018

Sorry Terry won't be there, as the ecb have yet to make it compulsory I have exercised my right to not turn up, however I hope to see you@ Colwyn Bay come the end of August, unfortunately there will be no silly side shows or gimmicks just a'boring'game of real cricket with few if any 6s and plenty of defensive prods as batsmen attempt to build an innings and occupy the crease with correct technique hoping to bat for long periods - this 'tedium' may even go on for 4 whole days so thinking about it you won't be there will you!!

RE: Bears v Vikings - Terry - 08-07-2018

Here's my report on today's match.
https://deepextracover.com/2018/07/bell-and-hose-take-bears-to-victory-over-inadequate-yorkshire/
Good to see so many young children there supporting the Bears:

RE: Bears v Vikings - Leicester Exile - 08-07-2018

Super win, just a pity we couldn't do it against our neighbours! This game showed the flaw in the one day format, especially the 20 over match - and that is you reporting the game was effectively over at the end od our 1st over.

RE: Bears v Vikings - Terry - 08-07-2018

(08-07-2018, 08:55 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Super win, just a pity we couldn't do it against our neighbours! This game showed the flaw in the one day format, especially the 20 over match - and that is you reporting the game was effectively over at the end od our 1st over.

Yes.  That doesn't mean to say that the Bell/Hose partnership wasn't good to watch.

RE: Bears v Vikings - Exiled Bear - 08-07-2018

I really pity you simon. I pity you because, as a result of your stubbornness, you're missing out on some great cricket. You're also missing out on seeing some of our youngsters coming through and making match winning contributions (e.g. Pollock, Brookes etc). You're also missing out on seeing a new generation of cricket lovers coming to Edgbaston and getting hooked on cricket - there was a wonderful number of youngsters at the ground today. You're missing out on sitting in the sun, watching Warwickshire demolish Yorkshire (what could be better than that?). And all because of your stubbornness. But you know what? The reality is that the majority of people who play cricket play between 20 and 50 overs per innings, so it's the most relatable format. It's also the easiest format to attend for those who have families, those who work and those who don't live in Birmingham (so the majority of our support). And also those who are the future of cricket - young people. Without young supporters, cricket will either and die. Don't get me wrong, I love the county championship, and I love spending a day at Edgbaston watching a slowly evolving game. But it's not convenient for most people, and it's a big time investment. You've also starting inexplicably attacking, in my view, one of the most respected posters on this forum (Terry), for reasons that I'm not sure of - perhaps you're bored? Anyway, rant over - time to concentrate on the cricket and another excellent result today.

RE: Bears v Vikings - narsty simon - 09-07-2018

(08-07-2018, 11:12 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: I really pity you simon. I pity you because, as a result of your stubbornness, you're missing out on some great cricket. You're also missing out on seeing some of our youngsters coming through and making match winning contributions (e.g. Pollock, Brookes etc). You're also missing out on seeing a new generation of cricket lovers coming to Edgbaston and getting hooked on cricket - there was a wonderful number of youngsters at the ground today. You're missing out on sitting in the sun, watching Warwickshire demolish Yorkshire (what could be better than that?). And all because of your stubbornness. But you know what? The reality is that the majority of people who play cricket play between 20 and 50 overs per innings, so it's the most relatable format. It's also the easiest format to attend for those who have families, those who work and those who don't live in Birmingham (so the majority of our support). And also those who are the future of cricket - young people. Without young supporters, cricket will either and die. Don't get me wrong, I love the county championship, and I love spending a day at Edgbaston watching a slowly evolving game. But it's not convenient for most people, and it's a big time investment. You've also starting inexplicably attacking, in my view, one of the most respected posters on this forum (Terry), for reasons that I'm not sure of - perhaps you're bored? Anyway, rant over - time to concentrate on the cricket and another excellent result today.

I am not a sheep and don't 'follow' everybody else, as previously stated attending t20 isn't compulsory - yet!lnteresting your points on Pollock and Brookes - the latter playing county and almost certainly test cricket in the future, yer man can't force his way in despite the issues with the openers, I would suggest he's not only behind Rhodes and Sibley but Umeed and Banks too(could be down to technique ) popularity appeals to the lowest common denominator but doesn't mean quality

RE: Bears v Vikings - Leicester Exile - 09-07-2018

The problem is it's a bit like the old Guiness advert - I've never drank it because I don't like it! Simon never watches T20 because he doesn't like it!

Simon, come along and watch 2 or 3 games and then tell us all that it is rubbish.

I've tried to watch the IPL but each time I get the impression they are trying to hit every ball for 6. So I gave up watching it. I think that is how you think the Blast is played which couldn't be further from the truth.

RE: Bears v Vikings - narsty simon - 09-07-2018

(09-07-2018, 07:58 AM)Leicester Exile Wrote: The problem is it's a bit like the old Guiness advert - I've never drank it because I don't like it!   Simon never watches T20 because he doesn't like it!

Simon, come along and watch 2 or 3 games and then tell us all that it is rubbish.

I've tried to watch the IPL but each time I get the impression they are trying to hit every ball for 6. So I gave up watching it. I think that is how you think the Blast is played which couldn't be further from the truth.

I have been, unlike proper cricket its too samey, seen 1 game seen them all, most of the crowd seem drunk and lacking in cricket knowledge, when a batsmen aims a pull through mid wicket and it sails over the third man boundary they applaud thinking it's a controlled shot - if every ball is supposed to be exciting why are these people leaving their seats in the middle of an over to return to the bar?

RE: Bears v Vikings - Terry - 09-07-2018

Maybe the most significant development in yesterday's game was Dom Sibley's bowling.  Four overs, 1-25 was a great spell of leg break bowling and he bowled the dangerous Jonathan Tattersall with what looked like a perfectly flighted googly. 
I remember seeing him bowl a horrendously awful over of long hops and full tosses last year - I can't recall which match it was.  It would seem that, since then, he has worked at his bowling and is doing a Joe Denly, re-inventing himself as a leg-spinning all-rounder.
I know that I keep on beating the drum for Josh Poysden.  But even I have to admit that, based on yesterday's performance, Sibley bowled as well as Poysden and, unlike Josh, he can bat a bit too.

RE: Bears v Vikings - Terry - 09-07-2018

As for Ed Pollock, according to Cricinfo, Jim Troughton said:
"I actually feel like a fan watching our guys bat at the moment. Ed Pollock has got the highest strike-rate in the world now for someone who has scored over 300 runs in T20 cricket. In that first over today he just killed it and that's what he has done pretty much every innings. Polly takes games away from teams in the Powerplay and he did that today."

RE: Bears v Vikings - Warleybear - 09-07-2018

I enjoyed it :-)

RE: Bears v Vikings - Leicester Exile - 09-07-2018

(09-07-2018, 08:38 AM)narsty simon Wrote:
(09-07-2018, 07:58 AM)Leicester Exile Wrote: The problem is it's a bit like the old Guiness advert - I've never drank it because I don't like it!   Simon never watches T20 because he doesn't like it!

I have been, unlike proper cricket its too samey, seen 1 game seen them all, most of the crowd seem drunk and lacking in cricket knowledge, when a batsmen aims a pull through mid wicket and it sails over the third man boundary they applaud thinking it's a controlled shot - if every ball is supposed to be exciting why are these people leaving their seats in the middle of an over to return to the bar?

I do have some sympathy with your views. However, the misplaced shot as you describe has been applauded even at CC games by members of the "retired brigade".  Also while the game may be attended by the "only here for the beer" crowd it is also attended by youngsters getting their first taste of cricket. I took my grandson from the age of 6 to the 40 over games ( when they were played every other SUnday)and then to T20 games and that continued up to his teenage years. It was one small part in the development of his love of sport. I doubt that would have happened if the only cricket was the red ball game.

RE: Bears v Vikings - sheffield blue - 09-07-2018

(08-07-2018, 11:12 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: I really pity you simon. I pity you because, as a result of your stubbornness, you're missing out on some great cricket. You're also missing out on seeing some of our youngsters coming through and making match winning contributions (e.g. Pollock, Brookes etc). You're also missing out on seeing a new generation of cricket lovers coming to Edgbaston and getting hooked on cricket - there was a wonderful number of youngsters at the ground today. You're missing out on sitting in the sun, watching Warwickshire demolish Yorkshire (what could be better than that?). And all because of your stubbornness. But you know what? The reality is that the majority of people who play cricket play between 20 and 50 overs per innings, so it's the most relatable format. It's also the easiest format to attend for those who have families, those who work and those who don't live in Birmingham (so the majority of our support). And also those who are the future of cricket - young people. Without young supporters, cricket will either and die. Don't get me wrong, I love the county championship, and I love spending a day at Edgbaston watching a slowly evolving game. But it's not convenient for most people, and it's a big time investment. You've also starting inexplicably attacking, in my view, one of the most respected posters on this forum (Terry), for reasons that I'm not sure of - perhaps you're bored? Anyway, rant over - time to concentrate on the cricket and another excellent result today.

Perhaps the best thread I have read in my relative short time visiting this board, well done Exiled Bear

RE: Bears v Vikings - Tayls79 - 09-07-2018

It’s not an either/or in my view. Neither T20/List A or Long form cricket could thrive independent of one another.

White ball cricket needs the context of long form cricket to staple together the various jamborees going on. It provides an overall standard where pretty much all international cricketers say a Test is the pinnacle of what they can achieve. Likewise, long form needs limited overs to create an easy entry into the game, playing or spectating, and provides the cash. You can think of several examples where cross pollination has occurred: KP’s need to play tests to provide the profile needed to get IPL contracts comes to mind.

As for deinigrating one form or the other, seems a bit narrow minded in my view. Think of the wider sporting word, they’d find it absurd to find us arguing the toss of which one of one of three formats we play is best!

RE: Bears v Vikings - GrizzlyBear - 10-07-2018

I've been wondering whose side I should be on in this thread. Simon's taken an extreme position and fired at the wrong target. Yet I wouldn't want anyone to think that there aren't others of us who find it impossible to like T20. For me, cricket is about subtlety, skill and patience not heavy bats, short boundaries and cannon fodder bowling. It's a long time since I paid to watch T20 and although I do watch the occasional game on TV, it's rare that I can bear to watch it all. Hitting competitions just aren't my cup of tea.

I'm also rather tired of people telling me that first class cricket needs T20 if it is to survive. T20 is actively killing first class cricket. We have a reduced programme of games played in the margins of the season already so that high summer can be given over to white ball games. Throw in the Hundred and it just gets worse. It may be the way of the world now but don't expect me to like it.

RE: Bears v Vikings - Lilly - 10-07-2018

I have no issue with anyone not liking a particular format of the game we all love...I could just do without hearing it in every T20 thread created this season

RE: Bears v Vikings - Exiled Bear - 10-07-2018

(10-07-2018, 07:21 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: I've been wondering whose side I should be on in this thread. Simon's taken an extreme position and fired at the wrong target. Yet I wouldn't want anyone to think that there aren't others of us who find it impossible to like T20. For me, cricket is about subtlety, skill and patience not heavy bats, short boundaries and cannon fodder bowling. It's a long time since I paid to watch T20 and although I do watch the occasional game on TV, it's rare that I can bear to watch it all. Hitting competitions just aren't my cup of tea.

I'm also rather tired of people telling me that first class cricket needs T20 if it is to survive. T20 is actively killing first class cricket. We have a reduced programme of games played in the margins of the season already so that high summer can be given over to white ball games. Throw in the Hundred and it just gets worse. It may be the way of the world now but don't expect me to like it.

As Lilly says, I have absolutely no problems with those who don't like or don't want to watch T20, such as yourself, but then you don't feel the need to remind us how much you dislike it on every T20 match thread! That's mostly where my grievances lie.

RE: Bears v Vikings - Exiled Bear - 10-07-2018

On a side note, on Sunday, after the game had finished, my friend and I decided to hang around for a little while to have another drink and enjoy what was a lovely evening. We went down to the Tom Dollery lounge as the bar on the Skyline had closed and bought a drink from the bar there. Almost immediately afterwards (it was probably between two and five minutes later) we were told that we had to leave immediately, despite the fact that we'd only just bought our drinks, and they were still serving someone as we were being told to leave! Fortunately we were able to club together with a few other people who were in the same boat and together we managed to persuade the security that they couldn't kick us out as we'd only just been served. Seems as though communication between the security and bar staff could be improved somewhat!

RE: Bears v Vikings - narsty simon - 10-07-2018

(10-07-2018, 07:21 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: I've been wondering whose side I should be on in this thread. Simon's taken an extreme position and fired at the wrong target. Yet I wouldn't want anyone to think that there aren't others of us who find it impossible to like T20. For me, cricket is about subtlety, skill and patience not heavy bats, short boundaries and cannon fodder bowling. It's a long time since I paid to watch T20 and although I do watch the occasional game on TV, it's rare that I can bear to watch it all. Hitting competitions just aren't my cup of tea.

That's what does my head in, only t20 fans tell us it's keeping cricket alive when in fact  as you rightly point out it's having the reverse effect