Warwickshire County Cricket Club Unofficial fans forum
New T20 Competition - Printable Version

+- Warwickshire County Cricket Club Unofficial fans forum (http://www.bearsfans.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Warwickshire CCC (http://www.bearsfans.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: One Day Matches (http://www.bearsfans.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: New T20 Competition (/showthread.php?tid=3990)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

New T20 Competition - Terry - 15-02-2018

It's good news that Edgbaston will host one of the eight teams in the new T20 competition.
The Notts site does a pretty good job of explaining it:
https://www.trentbridge.co.uk/news/2018/february/what-the-dickens-is-this-new-t20-competition-the-ecbs-tournament-explained.html
There's silence so far on what the new teams will be called.  County names seem out; and City names potentially narrow down the support base (Sheffield residents maybe not wanting to support a Leeds team, etc).  The Cardiff based team could pretty safely be called Wales or the Welsh Dragons but even that means that potential supporters from Bristol or Somerset are not likely to travel across the Severn Bridge or feel any loyalty.  It seems we might end up with teams that show no place identity in the name - just The Bears or The Dragons or whatever.
Also I'm not sure that there is any clarity about how a team wins the competition -  are there semi-finals and finals.  And if so, where will they be played?
So a few questions still to be answered.

RE: New T20 Competition - narsty simon - 15-02-2018

Who cares?

RE: New T20 Competition - Leicester Exile - 15-02-2018

I just hope that the grounds chosen (Edgbaston in particular) do not suffer any share of the losses that will surely follow.

As for naming -
Bears - will be too closely linked to WCCC so will not be acceptable as a city based team
Birmingham - will cause confusion with the existing T20 team that is really Warwickshire and also would fail to attract supporters from Black Country, Coventry etc
West Midlands - which is what it will really represent - can anyone seriously see people supporting West Midlands as a team?

I fail to see this getting off the ground and being a commercial success

RE: New T20 Competition - Terry - 16-02-2018

(15-02-2018, 06:58 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: I just hope that the grounds chosen (Edgbaston in particular) do not suffer any share of the losses that will surely follow.

As for naming -
Bears - will be too closely linked to WCCC so will not be acceptable as a city based team
Birmingham - will cause confusion with the existing T20 team that is really Warwickshire and also would fail to attract supporters from Black Country, Coventry etc
West Midlands - which is what it will really represent - can anyone seriously see people supporting West Midlands as a team?

With regard to the naming, I think you have summed up exactly the problem faced by the ECB, to which there is no obvious good answer.

RE: New T20 Competition - stingray - 16-02-2018

(15-02-2018, 04:27 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Who cares?

Absolutely. Apparently the spokesman for Hampshire reckons this is the future for cricket. God help us all.

RE: New T20 Competition - narsty simon - 16-02-2018

Seems to be the sentiment of many sadly

RE: New T20 Competition - bear4life - 16-02-2018

This whole auction thing seems bizarre. The likes of Sam Hain and Aaron Thomason, two of our stronger T20 players could easily end up playing for anyone but the W Midlands based team.

The Blast was/is a success, we don't need this new competition.

RE: New T20 Competition - Leicester Exile - 16-02-2018

That's the bit I do not understand. After years of fluctuations the Blast seems to have settled down in recent years to a growing profitable competition - so as the old saying goes - if it aint broke why fix it.

Also from what I understand Australia for all their massive crowds are still making a loss and there have been problems in SA too. So why do the ECB think they can make it work here?

RE: New T20 Competition - DaveC - 17-02-2018

(16-02-2018, 10:16 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: That's the bit I do not understand. After years of fluctuations the Blast seems to have settled down in recent years to a growing profitable competition - so as the old saying goes - if it aint broke why fix it.

Also from what I understand Australia for all their massive crowds are still making a loss and there have been problems in SA too. So why do the ECB think they can make it work here?

I'm pretty sure I see how this pans out.

For the first couple of years after 2020 with the TV money secured Graves and Harrison will be pretty relaxed. However and if, as I believe, the expected crowds don't throng at the gates they will start to apply financial pressure to the counties threatening withdrawal of the £1.2m pa goody bag if they don't play ball.

By this I expect them to push the 18 to futher marginalise both the the existing county T20 and 50 over comps and probably the CC to give an extended window to the new competition.

TPTB at the ECB have invested far too much of their own capital and reputation into this to allow it to fail.

RE: New T20 Competition - DJL - 14-03-2018

(15-02-2018, 04:27 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Who cares?

Me too - Who cares?

(15-02-2018, 06:58 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: I just hope that the grounds chosen (Edgbaston in particular) do not suffer any share of the losses that will surely follow.

As for naming -

Totally agree with your view that the Competition could fail to get off the ground - Can you see Worcestershire cricket supporters travelling to Edgbaston to support WM or Birmingham?

(16-02-2018, 05:12 PM)bear4life Wrote: This whole auction thing seems bizarre. The likes of Sam Hain and Aaron Thomason, two of our stronger T20 players could easily end up playing for anyone but the W Midlands based team.

The Blast was/is a success, we don't need this new competition.

Was 'The Blast' a success - How many of the Counties actually made money from it - Very few if any I am led to believe - The big financial winners were the ECB and SKY TV.

(16-02-2018, 10:16 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: That's the bit I do not understand. After years of fluctuations the Blast seems to have settled down in recent years to a growing profitable competition - so as the old saying goes - if it aint broke why fix it.

Is the BASEBALL Competition (Sorry, T20) making money? - NO as regards the Counties but YES for the ECB and SKY TV. 

Haven't seen any feedback on numbers attending the Aussie version - Not sure the crowds are that great - Remember Melbourne Cricket Ground (MSG) gets around 75,000 a day for test cricket when they play England - Sydney likewise is virtually sold out for Aus v Eng test matches at 44,000 a day - They only have SIX (6) State Teams remember so have greater scope for organising/hosting BASEBALL (sorry T20).

I am led to believe that INTERNATIONAL T20 CRICKET makes money BUT from an England point of view the ECB pockets the Profits - SKY TV naturally also makes a fair sized wedge from such events.

I wonder what CRICKET will look like in another 10 years - I believe they are playing the game in CHINA now - The Chinese are pushing for the short game to be included in the Olympics but prefer the American version (Baseball).

RE: New T20 Competition - Terry - 29-03-2018

Norman Gascoigne gets a role:
https://warwickshireccc.com/news/bears-chairman-appointed-new-t20-board/
Apart from the two county Chairmen, there's precious little cricketing knowledge or experience on that board so it's just as well that Mr Graves is going to chair it, because he knows everything about everything.

RE: New T20 Competition - Warleybear - 15-04-2018

We can all argue as much as we want.... put simply... The future of professional cricket is T20....

RE: New T20 Competition - Leicester Exile - 15-04-2018

The sooner the franchise nonsense is scrapped the better. It will all end in tears when the fickle public get bored with the predictability of the 20 overs game and then we find the cricketers have lost the skills needed for the longer proper game

RE: New T20 Competition - narsty simon - 16-04-2018

You're spot on LE, seen one T20 slog seen 'em all

RE: New T20 Competition - narsty simon - 16-04-2018

(15-04-2018, 07:01 PM)Warleybear Wrote: We can all argue as much as we want.... put simply... The future of professional cricket is T20....

Doesn't mean proper cricket fans should stop caring about our great game

RE: New T20 Competition - Warleybear - 16-04-2018

And there lies the problem... the term 'proper cricket fan' says it all. Doesn't really matter.... Having attended my first championship match in 1977, and never missed a season since then, I honestly believe the future is T20. In fact with thirty years I believe the county championship will be replaced by 20 over cricket. I am convinced that supporters of the four day game would be unable to make the very hard structural changes required to save the longer format.

Memberships around the country will continue to decline... Warwickshires is probably down to 6,000 now and a significant element of those will be paying at a reduced pensioners rate... soon the number of T20 season ticket holders will be greater than the membership.... The future of professional cricket is T20.... Why would a young cricketer want to spend four days playing red ball cricket when he can earn more and play in front of larger crowds for three hours.

Don't shoot the messenger, but the tipping point will soon be upon us.

RE: New T20 Competition - Terry - 16-04-2018

(16-04-2018, 09:17 PM)Warleybear Wrote: And there lies the problem... the term 'proper cricket fan' says it all. Doesn't really matter.... Having attended my first championship match in 1977, and never missed a season since then,  I honestly believe the future is T20. In fact with thirty years I believe the county championship will be replaced by 20 over cricket. I am convinced that supporters of the four day game would be unable to make the very hard structural changes required to save the longer format.

Memberships around the country will continue to decline... Warwickshires is probably down to 6,000 now and a significant element of those will be paying at a reduced pensioners rate... soon the number of T20 season ticket holders will be greater than the membership.... The future of professional cricket is T20.... Why would a young cricketer want to spend four days playing red ball cricket when he can earn more and play in front of larger crowds for three hours.

Don't shoot the messenger, but the tipping point will soon be upon us.

You ask - why would a young cricketer want to spend four days playing red ball cricket when he can earn more and play in front of larger crowds for three hours?

In his recent interview with me, Sam Hain said:

“I love the thrill of T20. But there’s no skill like batting for three or four sessions. That’s proper, tough cricket.”