Warwickshire County Cricket Club Unofficial fans forum
New Zealand v England - Printable Version

+- Warwickshire County Cricket Club Unofficial fans forum (http://www.bearsfans.co.uk)
+-- Forum: International (http://www.bearsfans.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Test Cricket (http://www.bearsfans.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: New Zealand v England (/showthread.php?tid=3978)

New Zealand v England - Terry - 10-01-2018

Congratulations to Chris Woakes - selected for the New Zealand tour:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2018/01/10/england-give-james-vince-another-chance-test-squad-new-zealand/
Liam Livingstone is obviously a good prospect.  I liked his batting against the Bears last season - if you don't want to be reminded, look away now:
http://www.lccc.co.uk/cricket/news/2017-news/watch-lancashire-captain-liam-livingstone-against-warwickshire-in-the-specsavers-county-championship/
I was less impressed at Taunton when he was given out and came back through the pavilion gate with a truly foul-mouthed rant.

RE: New Zealand v England - Malc - 31-01-2018

(10-01-2018, 11:39 PM)Terry Wrote: Congratulations to Chris Woakes - selected for the New Zealand tour:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2018/01/10/england-give-james-vince-another-chance-test-squad-new-zealand/
Liam Livingstone is obviously a good prospect.  I liked his batting against the Bears last season - if you don't want to be reminded, look away now:
http://www.lccc.co.uk/cricket/news/2017-news/watch-lancashire-captain-liam-livingstone-against-warwickshire-in-the-specsavers-county-championship/
I was less impressed at Taunton when he was given out and came back through the pavilion gate with a truly foul-mouthed rant.

I remember Livingstone really annoying Trotty in the final game of the 2017 season. Something about challenging whether a catch had been held? I’d never seen Trotty so angry.

RE: New Zealand v England - narsty simon - 31-01-2018

Saw every ball of his inns against us, yes he batted well but we served up some filth

RE: New Zealand v England - narsty simon - 22-03-2018

England bowled out in 20 overs, a sad sign as to where the men's game is right now

RE: New Zealand v England - randombear - 22-03-2018

20 overs; rather ironic given the current priorities at the ECB

Utterly spineless from England, in conditions that are the closest match to English conditions that you could wish to see.

RE: New Zealand v England - Leicester Exile - 22-03-2018

This is what you get when the concentration is on slog cricket. I could not believe waking up to this score

(22-03-2018, 09:02 AM)randombear Wrote: 20 overs; rather ironic given the current priorities at the ECB

Utterly spineless from England, in conditions that are the closest match to English conditions that you could wish to see.

Apparently batting for 20 overs is the only way to fill the grounds

RE: New Zealand v England - adickinson - 22-03-2018

I actually laughed when I saw the score this morning. I'm not against the England team, far from it, but I am certainly against the ECB. Until the ECB sorts itself out then I fear the England team will continue in the same way. A joke of a preparation for the test series, players picked on reputation not form, no corporate accountability. How I wish Woakes was not caught up in it all!

The game has got what it deserves being a cash cow is more important than producing proper cricketers

RE: New Zealand v England - Leicester Exile - 22-03-2018

Given the fact that West Indies just scraped past Scotland to qualify for the OD World Cup and England's performance today the series in the Caribbean next winter should be a close encounter!!!

RE: New Zealand v England - Terry - 29-03-2018

Dropping Chris Woakes surely isn't the answer to England's problems.

RE: New Zealand v England - The Red Baron - 29-03-2018

(29-03-2018, 08:44 AM)Terry Wrote: Dropping Chris Woakes surely isn't the answer to England's problems.

Absolute madness. The only positive is that we might see more of him at Edgbaston next season.

I'd love to know what James Vince has on Bayliss and Root!

RE: New Zealand v England - GrizzlyBear - 29-03-2018

To be fair, Chris Woakes' Test match bowling record outside England isn't great although I'd pick him as a batsman ahead of James Vince.

Unless they think they can make a fifth bowler out of a combination of Root and an injured Stokes, it looks like Craig Overton will bat at seven. We could struggle to make 58.

RE: New Zealand v England - The Red Baron - 29-03-2018

(29-03-2018, 10:11 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: To be fair, Chris Woakes' Test match bowling record outside England isn't great although I'd pick him as a batsman ahead of James Vince.

Unless they think they can make a fifth bowler out of a combination of Root and an injured Stokes, it looks like Craig Overton will bat at seven. We could struggle to make 58.

I think Vince will play so one of Overton, Wood or Leach will miss out. If all three of those play you have a tail of Tufnell-Mullally-Giddings proportions.

I agree Woakes has not bowled well with the Kookaburra all winter, but he was one of our best batsmen in the second innings and was got out by a good ball rather than a poor shot. I can't see why Overton is preferred to him as he didn't bowl significantly better.

RE: New Zealand v England - rednalbear - 29-03-2018

Not really surprised about Woakes, at the end of the day his main job is to take wickets, he has only taken 10 wickets in 5 tests this winter.

RE: New Zealand v England - coolerking - 29-03-2018

(29-03-2018, 10:18 AM)The Red Baron Wrote: I think Vince will play so one of Overton, Wood or Leach will miss out. If all three of those play you have a tail of Tufnell-Mullally-Giddings proportions.

I think that's a bit harsh on Overton.  He's got a first class ton and averages 22.  But for his 33 in the last Test we would have broken our record, I think.

His bowling hasn't been much to write home about mind.  But as someone wrote the other day, England just haven't been able to bowl with scoreboard pressure on for quite a while.

RE: New Zealand v England - narsty simon - 29-03-2018

(29-03-2018, 10:18 AM)The Red Baron Wrote:
(29-03-2018, 10:11 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: To be fair, Chris Woakes' Test match bowling record outside England isn't great although I'd pick him as a batsman ahead of James Vince.

I think Vince will play so one of Overton, Wood or Leach will miss out. If all three of those play you have a tail of Tufnell-Mullally-Giddings proportions.

I agree Woakes has not bowled well with the Kookaburra all winter, but he was one of our best batsmen in the second innings and was got out by a good ball rather than a poor shot. I can't see why Overton is preferred to him as he didn't bowl significantly better.
TBF Overton was one of the few players to show some fight in the Ashes and spared England's lowest ever score in the first test

RE: New Zealand v England - narsty simon - 29-03-2018

Confirmed:Leach plays

RE: New Zealand v England - Terry - 02-04-2018

Pleased to see that the only Bear in the current Test is having such a good game.

RE: New Zealand v England - Leicester Exile - 02-04-2018

Yes you could say the big man is having a big game.